Monday, May 31, 2010

Leaving on a jet plane...

Good afternoon, I am enjoying this beautiful winter weather!  It's sunny, breezy and cool in Brisbane - I think this is my favorite time of year.  My hot tea intake has increased exponentially and today I've seriously considered knitting up (or attempting to knit up) a pair of fingerless gloves to wear around the house.  I've got my fuzzy socks on with my jeans and long sleeve tee AND a hoodie!  But if you look outside, the sun is bright - not the grey Indiana winters I'm used to.  Ken is still wearing shorts most days and truthfully I rarely have on socks.

The last couple of weeks, Ken and I have been fighting colds.  His has settled into his lungs, and he's just been miserable, but mine is just a general chill and feeling rundown.  I hope we both get to feeling better in the next couple of days.  Our days have been mainly spent inside quietly playing computer games (him) and knitting or reading (me).  The television has also been on more during the day than ever before.  Poor guy had to put up with Nora Roberts' movies a couple of days last week!  Thankfully, he was able to snooze during the worst parts.

We've also completed our paperwork for my permanent residency visa.  WOO and HOO!  I didn't know if we would both survive the stress of figuring this stuff out.  But it'll be wonderful to put the application in the mail and let the ball be in the government's court.  I'll keep you updated on our progress.

Ken announced today that he just purchased us a cheese maker.  No, not a little French man , but a kit that will be everything we need (except milk) to make our very own cheese.  We are very excited about this!  He had previously found a cheese making course he could send me on for a weekend.  I'd learn everything I need to know about cheese making for only $400.  Only $400?!  But this new little kit should be here tomorrow and we'll be able to get some made before I leave next week.  So when I get home, there will be a lovely block of cheese waiting to be eaten and enjoyed.  (If Ken doesn't give in to temptation first!)  I reckon we'll have to start walking a couple of hours everyday now, just to work off all the cheese we'll be eating.  It's Ken's biggest weakness.

Speaking of weaknesses, I have found the best recipe for bread.  I've made it twice now and each time it's a little better.  I can't wait to make it again today.  It's just a white bread, but instead of making it in a pan I make a round loaf on a pizza stone.  Here's a picture of the last loaf I made Friday with my chicken soup.
Tuscan herbs and poppy seeds 

We've been preparing for my next Indiana visit.  I'm thrilled to be able to go at this time of year, when Mom and the kids are on summer break from school.  When I visited in October, Mom couldn't spend much time with me so we're planning on making up for that this time.  Stori will also be home and I'll get to meet her new babies, Chad and Ian for the first time!  I wish I could spend more time with them, but will have to be satisfied with only a couple of intense days.  Mom and my brothers' families are going to Florida for a couple of weeks and I'll be joining them.  It's very hard to try to see everyone and do the things I need/want to do in just three weeks.  Some hard decisions have to be made and I just feel torn already.  But three weeks is better than nothing, and I couldn't bear to be away from here any longer than that.  

Mom and I have so much planned already and things get added every day.  My sister-in-law, Nina and I just can't wait to open a bottle of wine, some fresh bread and start talking.  My arms ache to hold those new babies and Stori Faye.  And it'll be wonderful to see my dad and brothers again.  Just to feel a part of that circle of love and affection again.  I have missed my family so much.  It amazed me that people survived this kind of separation before the invention of email, Skype and Facebook.  I know that I couldn't.  

Mom has found a blanket she wants me to knit.  It's a log cabin technique (like the quilts) and to practice I've been working on a dishcloth/hot pad with some scrap cotton.  I really enjoy it and I finished it in just a couple of nights, however it didn't look right so I ripped the last round off and have started again. Hopefully I'll get it done the right way tonight.  It's going to Mom and Dad until I get the blanket finished. 
 Blue, red, green log cabin

I'm also knitting a very lightweight baby blanket for Aaron and Julie's newest addition.  It'll probably be one we just keep around here for when he comes to visit.  Hopefully that will be very often!  I can't wait to hold this little guy.  Ken and I have already started calling him "Flash" - I guess every child needs a nickname from his grandfather.  

In other news, Ken and I had our eye appointments a few weeks ago and I finally can see.  Oh how great it is!  I got a new pair of glasses that we both just love and a new pair of prescription sunglasses.  Here is a picture of me in my new glasses with my long Pocahontas hair.  Please excuse the no makeup and pale skin, and thank goodness I'm not very vain!  

Or maybe I am a little vain.  Here's a better picture of me by the pool at Rae's resort (Ken's sister's house).  
Mmmm...ice block by the pool

Happy Monday everyone!

Courtney

2 comments:

  1. Your family is wowed by your Pocahontas braids! The kids haven't seen Nana Court with hair that long. We are all excited about our vacation, too. Bring the bread recipe, Nina is taking her bread stone. We don't have much in the way of restaurants on the Cape, so we will be eating in. They were all placing their orders for meals tonight while having supper here. Ka-bobs, Chicken Mexican Casserole, homemade pizza, wraps, on and on. Just like always, eating one meal and planning the next!! We can't wait till the 10th. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe how long your hair is! It looks great! I can't wait to see you! I sooo miss you.
    Love you!
    Stori

    ReplyDelete