Friday, April 10, 2009

Dear Nancy,

I'm so sorry it's been awhile since I've posted anything of substance. The days have been getting away from me. Can you believe it's been a month since I've been here? Sometimes it seems like just yesterday I was getting on the plane, all nervous and excited. Of course, then there are days like Thursday that just make me feel like this is the way it's always been and this is the way it should always be.

"Oh what a wonderful time we had the day we went to Shorncliffe." Ken sang this over and over on Thursday, the day we did go to Shorncliffe. (Pronounced Shawwwncliffe) It's a quaint little town on the bay, full of old houses being remodeled and an amazing collection of purple rocks on the water. We took a short train ride there. I love going by train everwhere - you get to see so much more! The fish and chips we had for lunch were nice, it was raining so we ate them on the porch of the shop instead of down by the water. But because the universe is a wonderful place, it stopped raining just as we finished eating. The tide was out and it was perfect for looking for shells. But I didn't just get shells, I brought home rocks. The prettiest lavender, white and pink quartz and rocks that have shells attached to them, and beautiful little perfect shells that Ken found in a group all alike! My purse got pretty heavy! Ken brought home a piece of driftwood that made a perfect walking stick for him. He's going to dry it out and shellac it or something to preserve it.

It was so peaceful while we walked along, searching for just the right shells. At one point I looked up and no one else was in sight. Nothing else was in sight. We felt like the only two people in the world and it was just a perfect moment. I think we all need to look out for those moments and treasure them. These are what make life worth all the pain, uncertainty, and angst.

It actually got a little cool on the bay, with the wind and light rain showers - I was glad I wore jeans! I'm looking forward to fall and winter here. You know my favorite weather is in the 60s and 70s - cool and clean. It's been nice being able to keep the air conditioning off and the windows open. Especially nice at night! I've even gotten used to the train roaring past the bedroom window every 1/2 hour.

Ken made stir-fry for our "anniversary" that night. He had all the veggies sliced, the beef ready and went outside to use the wok on the gas stove so it would get really hot. No gas. It was so funny! He griped and grumbled for a half hour while I just laughed and laughed! But he got it going on the stove inside and it was just delicious. Completely worth the wait.

Monday I walked to the shops and found some knitting supplies. I've decided I'm going to start with easy dishcloths. I bought the cheapest yarn I could find, mainly because I wasn't sure if I would follow thru with this. But I started one morning and for two hours tried to cast on 38 stitches. Two freaking hours! I was watching videos online and reading directions and everything, could not get my fingers to work the way they were supposed to. Then I watched one more video before I threw all the crap away. And boom! It hit me - when Nana taught me to knit, we cast on with both our needles just like this woman was doing. After that, it took me 10 minutes to cast on. No problem. Ken showed me what to do after that and it all came back to me. Well, the knitting part at least. So I'm working on a little yellow dishcloth and hopefully will be finished by next week. How long can it possibly take to knit a small square?!

I made my first-ever classic lasagna this week. It was pretty good, Ken really liked it. I think next time I'll go heavier on the seasoning. After dinner, we sat and talked for a long time at the table. He kept getting a little piece of lasagna out of the pan. "I'm just evening it up, it's not symmetrical." I guess all men are like that, Dad and the boys say that kind of stuff all the time. But I'm glad he liked it. We still have some leftover and we'll eat it this afternoon before we head to the football game.

COME ON LIONS!! Yes, I am going to see a live AFL game! Brisbane Lions (LOINS) vs. Sydney Swans. Ken went into town this week and bought us tickets in the 8th row center field. The game is tonight at 7 and I can't wait! I know it's not going to be the same as seeing it on TV because the field is so huge, I won't be able to see as much. But oh my God, it's going to be fun! I'm taking my camera, so everyone can see just how beautiful this game is. Here's a fantastic commercial that's just taking Australia by storm:




Although this one might give a better explanation of my love:

Our afternoon on the bay was the most exciting thing we've done lately. Most of my days are spent quietly at home. Which as you know is my idea of paradise! I've been trying to establish a routine - most would say a BORING routine, but for me it's great. Ken lets me sleep in because I stay up and read half the night (a terrible habit I'm thinking of breaking). But then I open up my laptop while he brings me coffee or tea in bed. When I'm finished catching up on stuff in Indiana, I make the bed and put in a load of laundry. Then I wash up the breakfast dishes and make sure the food for dinner isn't in the freezer. Clean up the kitchen and either work on another room of the house, or get my knitting and work on it for awhile. Hang the laundry on the line and get lunch or more likely afternoon snack ready for Ken and myself. It's so laid back and just absolutely pressure free. Even though I'm doing something so completely different from my past, I still want to maintain me. So I'm reading and knitting and finding recipes and working out and trying to kick Ken's butt at Wii Bowling! Making a home for both of us. And of course, we talk throughout the day. And have the radio on and are singing and dancing, being goofy together. I really love this life I'm starting.

Yes, some would say we are definitely a boring old couple, but I enjoy that. At night after the dishes are washed, we sit and watch "nerd shows" on the Discovery Science channel and things like that. One night we sat mesmerized by a show about people who believe that aliens are coming down to earth just to have sex with them. It was sad and funny and we just could not look away! We also watch a lot of shows about archeology digs and stuff like that. We're such dorks.

Yesterday, we had a really nice lunch with Aaron, Julie and Bella. They took us out to the local Sizzler (just like the ones we used to have) and had a really great time. Bella was in a 4 year old mood, but still so cute and funny. She and Aaron had a great time playing with their Jello dessert. He asked her where chicken came from and she said "chickens". He asked her where fish came from and she said "fishies". He asked her where the Jelly (jello) came from and she said, "jelly fish"? It was so cute! Julie looked over at me and mentioned her two children. Just like every other mother in the world - they reminded me of Stephen and Caleb or Maddie.

Well, it's getting late and I need to get up and do something productive. I'm sorry again that I haven't been as regular with the posts as I should be. I'll start doing better. I miss you, tell Scott Manship I said hi!

Love,
Court

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing, how was the game? You didn't make a fool of yourself over those pretty boys, did you? Cool videos, quite the athletes down there. Love

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lions Won! By quite a bit, but it was a good game. We got rained on, but it was worth it!! I loved it!

    ReplyDelete