Friday, April 24, 2009

Dear Dad,

We went out to Coochiemudlo Island yesterday early to fix the diesel on the boat and spend a couple of days out on the bay. The winds were supposed to be very mild. When we got there, they were at least 30 knots. I'm not sure exactly what that means, but it wasn't mild. Ken rowed out to the boat. Well, he attempted to row to the boat to get the part number and head back to Victoria Point to buy it. He set me up in a protected area off the beach to stay out of the wind. His dinghy started taking on a lot of water before he got out to the boat, so he had to come back. He set up the dinghy in a Robertson Crusoe way to create a shelter for us on the beach. It worked until a huge-ass spider came crawling out of a crevice and made it's way to eat me. So I decided it'd be great to go for a walk!

We left most of the stuff tied up under the boat and took off down the beach with my backpack and a bottle of water. It's truly a beautiful place and simply gorgeous day. We had our lunch in a secluded little mangrove area out of the wind. I forgot the sunblock so my freckles came out in force, but it was worth it!

There are these red rocks that are just incredible. I could put up a hut and stay I think. At least until high tide when it covers up everything. The wind died down enough that Ken did get to the boat and got the information he needed. We decided to come home so he could call his mechanic buddy and try to figure out next step. We're going back Monday morning and do it all over again. Hopefully it'll get fixed and we can really actually go somewhere! Mom would love Coochimudlo Island. It's definitely her kind of place.

Wednesday we went to Ken's old school and he gave a talk for Anzac Day. It's sort of like their Veteran's Day. As we were leaving, a little boy said, "excuse me sir, thank you so much for the show." It was so cute! They all wear uniforms and just look adorable. I really think the US should go to uniforms. Tomorrow is the actual Anzac Day and we will go into the city for the march. Ken will march with his shipmates and I'll find a spot to watch the whole thing. It's supposed to be quite a show. The entire country stops for this day. Shops close and everything. It's really a beautiful thing.

Well, I need to get to work. I'm doing laundry today and cleaning the kitchen. Then I'll go off to the shops for some knitting supplies. I'll talk to you this weekend.

Love you and miss you!
Court

1 comment:

  1. I'm responding to your dad's letter because he won't and I think we should support your efforts on here. That being said; too bad you missed the sailing opportunity again. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete