Friday, May 1, 2009

Recipes and Updates

It has been such a weird week - a nice combination of busy and quiet. We've had a lot going on and the time has flown by. On Monday we did get back to Coochie and the boat. It was a fantastic time! The bad news is that we didn't get off the mooring...again. But we did spend the night on the boat and it was the most incredible night! The day was just so beautiful, we couldn't have asked for better weather. Ken and his friend Ivan had the idea that maybe the propeller was the problem, just too gunked up from sitting in the bay so long. So I got to go diving! We put the goggles on me and down I went. It was so fun! The propeller was full of barnacles and plants, so I took the wire brush down and spent the afternoon cleaning. Did I mention how much fun it was? The cuts on my hands and arms weren't really fun, but it was nice to be able to finally do something to help! And I love being in the amazing clear green water. I made Ken start calling me Esther (Williams). Of course, everyone who has seen me in the water knows I'm not nearly that graceful!

Sadly, the boat still isn't right. But that's one job down. We gave up for the day and opened up a beer. Sitting on the boat just watching the sun go down was one of the most peaceful moments of my life. I told Ken that it was my favorite moment so far. Then the stars came out. We ate some irish stew that Ken had made and drank a bottle of cabernet under the most amazing starry night. Van Gogh would have been in heaven! I'm actually able to find the Southern Cross on my own now. As the night went on, they just got brighter and more crowded. I had an old sweatshirt of Ken's on and we just sat watching the sky. We went to bed early, but I woke up in the middle of the night just in time to see a falling star. Was this the Universe telling me I'm in the right place, that I've made the right decision? Maybe, but I'm really having no doubts now. They've been wiped away with the dawn. Yes, I woke up early enough to watch the sun rise! It's weird that we don't have the dramatic sunsets and sunrises that Indiana does. They are very quiet and peaceful. Just a little yellow, then silvery purple and finally blue. I do miss the dramatic sunsets over the hills in Indiana. I bet it's beautiful now with the leaves out.

We came back home Tuesday afternoon and were just exhausted! Wednesday we ran errands. Yesterday was my favorite kind of day. I got a lot of housework done, but still took time to read and enjoy myself. Ken had to go to the doctor, so I cleaned the bathroom and did laundry. Made a spinach pie for lunch and waited for him to get home. The pie recipe came from Rhonda at Down to Earth and is so good! I've made it twice now and we just love it.
Spinach Pie
2 boxes frozen spinach
1 onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, chopped (or more)
olive oil
5 eggs
250 g. ricotta
1 c. cheddar and parmesan grated
4 sheets filo pastry

180C Oven
Chop spinach w/onion and garlic and fry in pan until soft. Mix eggs and ricotta together. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add other cheeses. Add spinach mix and combine well. Brush oil over each pastry sheet. Double it up and place in dish. Cover the base of the dish with all the sheets. Pour egg/spinach mix into dish and bake until golden. I use an 8x10 pan.

With a nice salad, it's a complete meal! And I use whatever cheeses I happen to have. Yesterday, it was gouda and mozzarrella. YUMMY! And this is really good cold too. It's great for a light brunch or lunch. Because Ken hadn't been able to eat much for a couple of days, I made a big supper too. My lasagne recipe was much improved this time. I loaded it up! And made some baguettes and a nice salad to round out the meal. Of course, we'll be eating both of these meals for the next couple of days. So it's a lazy day for me!

Lasagne
2 T finely grated parmesan
250 g packet lasagne sheets
Meat Sauce:
1 T olive oil
1 onion finely chopped
garlic (I use a TON)
dried oregano/Italian herbs
500 g hamburger
large can diced tomato
carrots, bell pepper, mushroom, chili pepper, etc
1 cup beef stock
3 T tomato paste
White Sauce:
30 g. butter
1 T flour
1/2 c or MORE grated cheddar (I added a bit of Mozz.)
1 c milk (or so)
salt, pepper, nutmeg

180C Oven
Heat olive oil in saucepan add onion, garlic, herbs and meat. Stir over medium heat until meat colors. Stir in remaing meat sauce ingredients, lower heat and simmer slowly for 25 minutes.
Melt butter in saucepan, stir in flour to make a roux. Gradually add milk and seasonings. Stir constantly until sauce thickens and comes to slow boil. Add cheese until melted. Take off heat.
Spoon thin layer meat sauce into dish. (9x13 works well) Cover with layer of lasagne sheets and repeat layers finishing with meat sauce. Top with the white sauce and the parmesan cheese. Bake for 45 minutes or sheets are soft when tested with a knife. Stand for 10 minutes before serving.


1 comment:

  1. I have to try that bread recipe, it's driving me crazy seeing the pictures. And the Spinach Pie, Nina and I both want that. Keep them coming, girlie. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete