Monday, May 18, 2009

Stradbroke Island Pt. 2

Mom and Dad, it was so good to hear your voices today! So sorry I've slacked off on the posting. The week on Stradbroke Island was just incredible and I'm not going to be able to do it justice. There are just no words that mean enough to describe the beauty and peace I found there.

Every morning we sat down to a beautiful breakfast from Sandra and discussed the plans for the day ahead. We pumped the beach for yabbies (little shrimp-like things) to use as bait for our surf fishing. And yes, I did fish for a little while and actually caught one! It was teeny-tiny, but Ken took a picture for me anyway. We drove on the beach down to the Jumpinpin Bar which is where the ocean cuts across the island and separates North and South Stradbroke. It's about a half hour drive from Flinders Beach where the house was. On the BEACH! How cool is that? We stopped a couple of times to try the fishing here and there and Sandra and I climbed the dunes and looked around. We could see the Gold Coast skyline across the bay and the outline of the tallest building in the Southern Hemisphere. We had lunch at the Pin with neighbors, Greg and Mary. It was a beautiful day.

At least, until Ken got bitten on the foot by something. We thought it was just a bee sting, but then his foot swelled horribly and he started having chest pains. Mary and Greg were kind enough to take Ken and I back to the house so he could rest. The chest pains went away quickly, so we weren't concerned enough to need a doctor. We're still not sure what got him, but his foot stayed swollen and sore for several days even after we got back home. He's thinking maybe it was a spider. It was a little scary and put a damper on his good time.

Greg and Mary had a barbeque for us with all the neighbors and it was such a great night! Most of the people knew Ken, Ross and Sandra from when they all lived in the area, so they were glad to catch up with them. They all certainly made me feel like a long-lost relative! Tess, Kit, Gwyneth, and Mary especially were just wonderful and I can't wait to see them again. Tess is a New Zealander who lives next door to Mary and Greg with her husband. They both work from home and are just lovely people! She earned my undying devotion when she asked Ken how he had gotten a "goddess" like me! The rest of the time there she and Mary called me "the goddess". "How's the goddess this morning?" etc... Kit and Gwyneth are an older couple and I just want to be her when I grow up. So lively and interesting, she's in her 80's and he's her "boy toy" at 70-something. They have both lived these incredible lives - I'd love to hear the whole story and write it.

They asked Ken and me over for coffee the next day. Unfortunately, we went to the wrong house and couldn't find them! Sandra and I went over later in the day to apologize and then Ken and I went over Monday before we left. I hate that we missed the opportunity to visit with them alone, but look forward to seeing them again and spending time with them.

As with most great vacations, the days ran together, so I'm having a hard time remembering what happened when. I'll just sum up by saying that it was one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen and the vacation was right up there with my all time favorite, Prince Edward Island. Ken and I are already talking about going back in the winter by ourselves for a couple of weeks. I can't wait and only wish you could all see it in person.

Since we've been back, it's been housework, footie, and spending time with Bella, Aaron and Julie. It's a gorgeous Autumn day and we're enjoying every minute together. As much as I love holidays and paradise islands, I wouldn't trade our quiet routine for all the world. Being with Ken, baking bread, hanging laundry on the line, and knitting is the kind of life I've always wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment