Monday, July 13, 2009

Cooking and Shopping

These are a few of my favorite things...This song has been going through my head all day! The bad thing is that it started with "brains in black butter". I have decided to go through an old cookbook Ken had in the kitchen drawer and make a lot of the recipes. Kind of a very relaxed version of the Julie and Julia idea: http://www.amazon.com/Julie-Julia-Recipes-Apartment-Kitchen/dp/031610969X One of the recipes I was looking at today (which will NOT get made in my kitchen) is for Brains in Black Butter. How disgusting can you get? When I asked Ken if he'd like it, I sang it to the tune of My Favorite Things. Now that song is stuck in my brain!

The recipe I actually did make this weekend out of the 1000 Recipe Cook Book: Recipes for all occasions edited by Isabelle Barrett and Jane Harrop and published in 1976 is the following cookie (or biscuit) recipe.

Butter Coconut Crisps
175 g./6 oz self-raising flour, sifted
225 g/ 8 oz sugar
1 egg, beaten
125 g/ 4 oz butter, melted
150 g/ 5 oz desiccated coconut

Mix the flour and sugar together. Gradually beat in the egg, then the melted butter. Form into small balls, then roll in the coconut. Put on well-greased baking sheets (or use baking paper), well spaced apart, and put into the oven preheated to moderate (180 C / 350 F). Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until lightly browned and firm to touch.

This is supposed to make about 30 cookies. I made 21 so you can tell mine were a bit too big. But wow, were they yummy! I was craving something sweet before the footy game on Saturday (the first of 2 that day), but didn't want to spend too much time in the kitchen. I made these during half-time and sadly they are all gone today. They are chewy when just out of the oven, but crisp up when they cool. Excellent with tea or coffee and I can imagine them with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and some hot fudge sauce! WOW!

The recipe I'm trying out today is a Goulash. We'll have it for dinner tonight, so I'll let you know if it's good tomorrow. And give you the recipe.

Friday was a wonderful day out for me. My friend Kerry picked me up and we had a girls' day at the DFO (Direct Factory Outlets) and then downtown for sushi and cupcakes. It was a fantastic day, weather and company were just perfect. It has meant so much to me that Ken's friends and family have been so accepting and welcoming.

There were some real bargains to be had at the DFO. I found a black purse for $15, it's exactly what I needed. I've lived all this time with one khaki canvas purse from Walmart! Kerry found a couple of cake stands that she's been looking for at a great bargain. The sushi in South Bank was great, eating at an outdoor table in winter even better! The sun was shining and the breeze was blowing. We went around the block for dessert at a cupcake/sweet shop. I had a lovely espresso mud cupcake and Kerry had a beautiful lemon meringue tart. Our lattes were delicious and it was a fantastic way to end the day with a dear friend.

Well, I'm going to sign off for now. Ken needs help bottling the beer and I have goulash to check on.

Love to you all,
Courtney

PS Wait till I tell you about Kenny's Curried Eggs...

1 comment:

  1. Someone has to open a Cupcake shop in the Valley!! Imagine having sweets and coffee in town! Thanks, I'll try the cookies for our Gagglefest next week. Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete